I'm going to explain the steps that it took for me to create my viking scenery on 3Ds max

First I planned out the design & setting that I desired, it was a basic map on Unreal engine of village with a home and stairs, I wanted their to be a basic mountain setting that is set in the Scandinavian period also known as the viking ages where Norse Mythology is a prime setting.


Firstly I went into the shapes list and created a shape of a 'cylinder' and then I edited the faces so it wasn't 3D and that it would just form a basic circle, this would be my basics for a Viking shield. I then used the inset tool & extrude tool to give the shield a perimeter around it which would then later act as the 'metal' to my shield. 
I then created a separate shape of a rectangle and made it appear to be 'thin' and created three of the exact same rectangles. I then used the attach tool to attach all three rectangles together holding down Ctrl so I can attach more than one item together making a Handle to my shield, I positioned it into place on the back of my shield to make a 'Handle', I then attached all of these pieces together to make one final object. I then made a viking 'End/Death' rune from three rectangles initially the same process as creating the handle however I selected the rotate tool and angle snap toggle tool to then design the shapes to create two parallel lines forming the final shape of the rune, to finalize my creation i attached them together, places them onto the front of the shield and attached all of the pieces together making it a final object.

The process of my axe was more complicated as I selected numerous vertices in the middle leaving out the edge vertices and created a 'sharp edge to make the blade of the axe. The Blade and the handle were two separate objects. The handle I used extrude & the inset tool to create the marks where the axe has been 'used' in battle, I wanted my models to tell a story and I wanted that 'used' 'battle-born' aesthetic to it. I stretched out the vertices of the handle so it would have a unique shape to it as I didn't want it to look like a basic axe, I wanted it to have a thin and fat shape to it.

I also created my main Beauty model, a Viking Stave Church, there are 3D modelled runes/shrines surrounding the church, The church was a complicated process as I created pillars to go on the front and the back of the building, and 2 mini steps where I want the place of worship to be on a Hill with the steps to get to it, for the steps I just used basic rectangles and attached them to one another, they're also layered aswell. I then created a Triangular door and used the vertices tool to point the top making the appearance of the door a triangle by joining to of the corners together, dragging it upwards to create the 'point', and then the 'frame' around the door I used the inset tool to create a border for my door giving it a rich design. Which then takes me to the main design of the building, I used the inset and extrude tool on the sides of the building to make it go 'inwards' making it a unique shape and then I connected corners and extruded them to give the appearance of extra wood panels that are across the building.
For the Rooftop I used the inset tool to create 'wooden slabs' that would act as panels for the rooftop and I extruded them small, medium & large at random sizes so they would appear 'messy' stacked.to give it a more 'Ancient, old' aesthetic. I also created runes at the top of the stave church roof of 'Life/Valhalla' because that's a strong belief in Norse mythology, I wanted it to be as close as possible, I just used the rotate tool and created three small rectangles, joining them up together to create the rune. The rune will be textured out of stone whilst the rest of the building will be textured dark stone & wood.
I also created a forge that the sides of the forge were raised up and then I used the inset tool to create a 'heating shelf' in the forge at the front so it has a open intricate design. I created the floor as a basic cylinder and chose not to attach it because I want the floor to be a basic texture of just coal, ash and fire. The rest of the forge will be stone.

I then created an Anvil to go with my forge, and to create the anvil I used a basic cube shape and placed a small cube to act as the middle support for the anvil, and then I created a rectangle and placed it on top, I highlighted to of the edges and extended them out, I then used the Chamfer tool to give a circled off shape and make it appear smooth, & then I smoothed out the edges to give an oval rounded of shape as the edges were originally pointy. I finally added two little rectangles at the bottom of the support and then connected everything together making it one big model. 

To texture my models I clicked the modify list and searched for "unwrap uvw" and then clicked onto UV editor which shows it on the far left, then pressed X to type and find material editor to show up onto my computer screen what is on the far right. I put my texture onto one of the balls and then I moved that onto my model. Then I clicked onto the checker pattern section where I selected pick texture, then I clicked my texture so it was behind the unwrapping map.

Comments